Vandalism and side markers on '99 M3

I was just curious how many of prevelent is my experience.

My side turn indicators (front fender lights) were stolen from my
'99 M3 even with the alarm on. This was at a hospital parking lot.

The .... cut the wires from the wiring harness that went
to the turn indicators and my dealer had a time trying to
get parts that would allow them to connect the new parts
without installing a new wiring harness.

How many of these cheap ($35/side components) are actually
stolen and should it have been that hard for the dealer to
get the connector so he could splice the wire from the side
indicators to the wires from the wiring harness?

Thanks,
BTW: Baby boy, Feb 17th, 5 lbs 14 oz, and bill was $370 for
parts, labor, and remove a minor scratch that took 1 week to
fix.

'99 Estoril Blue M3
Northern CA.
Mitchell Erblich