<E34> Bizzare M60 oil leak

As if triggered by the odometer rolling over 60k, my '95 540i/6spd has
developed a very strange oil leak.

I first noticed oil dripping on the ground under the left front corner of
the car. (at 60011 miles, aargh) A little poking around showed that there
was oil around the base of the oil filter casting, down near the banjo bolt
that attaches the oil line to the front. (Why does BMW still use cartridge
filters, anyway?)

I warmed up the car, and oil began to leak again. I shut down the car,
cleaned up the whole area, and started the car again.

As best as I can tell without getting the inspection mirror caught in the
fan, the leak is coming from the filter casting itself. It's a little hard
to tell with the fan blowing everything around, but here's what I saw.

A trickle of oil will start on each side of the butress on the front of the
casting that supports the canister. It appears to start right where the
butress ends at the bottom of the canister, at the front edge of the
casting.

The front of the canister is clean and dry, so I doubt that it's leaking
from the cover and dripping down the front. What's really frustrating is
that there isn't any sign of cracking or heat checking. I'd think that
contaminants in the oil would work sorta like ZyGlo and show the cracks,
but I can't see anything.

Before I do something strange like pull the casting off and have it
ZyGlo'ed for my own sanity...has anyone seen this, or something like it?

Am I asking for disaster by replacing this casting myself? It looks like
three bolts and a handful of seals to replace, though the upper rad. hose
probably has to come off for clearance.

Hmmm... This would seem to be a "lubricated component." Should I press for
BMW to fix it under the 6yr/100k "sulfur" warranty?

The deductable on my extended warranty is $250...I guess parts cost will
make the decision for me.

Any wisdom, commentary, and advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance,
	Zandr
	Leaky 540i/6spd
Aleksandr Milewski                                     BMWCCA #166568
n6mod@domain.elided                                         '95 540i/6spd
Ben Lomond, CA                                       '90 & '99 Miatas