Advice needed - Car Alarms(Simple/Cheap/Effective)

Hello Everyone,

My son will be coming home soon from college for Easter break, and he wants to
install a car alarm in his '86 325es.  Does anyone have some experience on
available systems out there that meet our requirements?...see "subject".
Maybe "inexpensive" would be a better word to use than "cheap".

The car originally was wired with a clifford alarm...very exotic network of
electronics/wires/sensors, but unfortunately it is old technology (and
inoperable), so we ripped most of it out.

Any help/advice much appreciated,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646
'73tii