All models: engine block differences

     Greetings:

     from previous postings....

     >>I have had MB's for years with the "new to BMW" silicon/alluminum
     >>blocks/cylinder bores. MB has been using this for over ten years (
     >>now found in 96'-forward 740's) .

     >Actually, MB suffered the same fate when they introduced the aluminum
     >engines. Now they too use steel sleeves The BMW problem arises from
     >poor gas usage

     I have a questions regarding the type of engine blocks that are used
     in the 3, 5, and 7 series.

     Do '96 and newer 7 series use steel sleeves or silicon/alluminum?
     What is used for the 3 series ('96 and newer)?

     >>You can take one of these 96's apart at 200k miles (with proper oil
     >>changes) and see virtually no wear in the cylinder walls. It's THAT
     >> good.

     If the above is true, can you reasonably expect that type of longevity
     from the 3 and 5 series as well?

     Thanks.