Engine overhaul, seat belt

Like some advice from the BMW experts out there.  Just bought an '89
316i.  Looks in great shape and has done only 145000km.

Intend to keep it for the next 9 years.  My mechanic recommends a engine
overhaul to clear the muck and replace the piston rings.  Would
appreciate any advice on this

Would also appreciate some advice on how to replace the seat belt.  The
belt is alright,  but the the springs in the catch probably have worn
out after 10 years and I've had trouble keeping the belt in the catch.
Can I just remove the catch part of it or does the whole thing need to
be replaced?

Seelan