<ALL> Stolen Keys...what measures can one take ?

My friend's one week old '92 325i was stolen on
Saturday night along with its only key by some
thugs. It was recovered Sunday morning with one
of the thugs still inside on the road side, lights on,
minutes after one of the thugs had smashed in the
passenger side window and beaten up his fellow
female thug leaving her inside the vehicle. The
thug(s) took off with the key and left the windows
open, sunroof open and the wiper switch broken.
Needless to say the female thug was arrested and
is being held on auto theft and malicious property
damage. She has refused to give the whereabouts
of the key and the names of her accomplices.
Apparently she is also implicated in a number of
similar auto thefts where a vehicle is stolen and driven
to an out of town destination and its windows broken.
Today the car is parked outside my friend's house
all covered in polythene to keep out the rain. Insurance
will cover the theft damage but there is one hitch. The
key. My friend was supposed to have ordered the key
this morning. However he is very concerned that the
thugs may track down his vehicle and steal it once
again. Other than change the locks are there any
security measures that he can take ? Is there  a
programmable code that he could put into his car
to prevent it from unauthorized starting ? If that is
possible how can one get to do this ( the vehicle
did not come with a manual). Any other tips to be
considered will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for
your help.

Mike Theuri