wacky speedometer

hi

both my mom's car (90 750il) and my girlfriend's car (90 535i) are both
having problems with their spedometer. both the cars are automatic, and are
about 70,000 to 80,000 miles. and are serviced regularly. when i was driving
my girlfriend's car the other day, stopped at the light, foot on the brake,
i noticed that the speedometer was was going out of control, it was going up
and down, it was acting like the rpm meter as if you rev'd you engine. it
would go up as high as 80mph and go back down to zero and would go up to
about 80 again. i didn't feel anything movement on the car, or the engine
and no indication that the car is going to suddenly take off, but i was
worried that it would.

and as for my mom's car she tells me she noticed the same.

my questions are: is it something to worrie about?? is it a simple fix?? any
long term damages for leaving it alone?? perhaps a recall?? and anyone else
had the problem??

thanks for the help

paul