Re: what kind of car could this be?

In a message dated 3/2/99 11:14:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: "Chao, Harvey" <harvey.chao@domain.elided>
 Subject: What kind of BMW Could this be?

 Neighbors were coming back from a ski weekend in the CA  Sierras to the SF
 Bay area, and saw what appeared to be a BMW - that had flip up headlights???
 It was bigger than a roadster, maybe the size of a 5 series ??  apparently a
 coupe, and had rear tail lights that appeared to be two closely spaced round
 tail lights on each side and a sleek (i.e. not boxy) general body shape.

 Anyone ever hear of a BMW with flip up headlights ??  My best guess is
 somebody glued a Roundel onto another kind of car ???

 Harvey >>

~~~~~ Harvey, you might have just seen the 6 series/8 series replacement for
yr. 2002! It is a 5/7 derrivative with flip-up headlights. My guess is the
tailights were just for "confusion". Probably a "test mule". Car may have been
on cold weather testing cycle in Sierra's. Did it have any kind of plates,
like MFG plates???

~~~~~ I saw the, you won't believe this, 1999 Jeep Cherokee in 1989!! Yes!. I
was in San Luis Obispo in 1989 and they had a completed "test mule" of the 99'
Grand Cherokee. Of course back then the body style looked a bit bizarre
(remember, we were used to boxy 88' Cherokees) but that just goes to show you
how many years in advance they do this stuff!. When I asked the guy about it
back in 88', he said it was just a "disguised" vehicle, and they wouldn't look
like that. Riiiiiiiiiiiight! :-)

Randy
cookies@domain.elided
BMW CCA member