Re: BIG SUV -- be afraid

Jefrem Iwaniw wrote:

> John Firestone wrote:
>
> > Michiel van Wessem wrote:

> > > Yeah. Imagine what happens when this 7000 pound monster hits your 3000
> > > pound car. It has that "blocker beam" to prevent your car from sliding
> > > under. Other then that, it'll be like slamming into a concrete wall.
> > >
> > > I like how they say it "sets a bold new standard for safety and they
> > > environment." It's true.
> > >

> > Perhaps the quickest way to drive such leviathans to extinction is
> > raise U.S. gasoline prices to $3 a gallon.  With their much higher
> > power to fuel consumption ratios, BMW's would fill the resulting void
> > like mammals after the dinosaurs.
>
> Two words:  Tow Vehicle.

A vehicle optimized for towing, that is, a truck, could fill the void
as well, particularly if it is hauling or towing something. I wonder a
little, however, about the efficiency of a 7000 lb SUV. After getting
its bulk up the hill, how much would it have left for cargo or for its
tow?

I am just a disinterested observer of these things. There are too
few SUV's in these parts to form an opinion.

- -John
'96 318is

- --
john.firestone@domain.elided