Re: 328i E36 Yellow gunk inside oil cap

"Mike Klein" <klein@domain.elided> wrote:

>  Synthetic oil mixes
> somewhat with water, resulting in less separation of oil and water, and
less
> condensate.  This doesn't mean there's less water in the oil system,
just
> less that is separated out and condenses at the filler.  My mechanic
doesn't
> like that, especially if you don't drive it enough to boil the water out
> regularly.

The last (and only) time I had my oil tested, it had less than 0.05%
water. That's about .003 quarts of water. Anyone know if that'd be enough
to create yellow gunk? :)

(For contrast, fuel was <0.5%. Not sure whether that's just the limit of
measurement, I assume that might be the case when they list readings with
a "<". Some readings did appear without the "<".)

I use Redline, and at the time that I had it tested, I had a VERY short
commute (5 miles).  The sample was taken through the dipstick neck with
the engine running, and sent to Analysts, Inc. (800)424-0099 if
interested.)

FWIW, I do plan on having the oil tested yearly. For a nominal cost, this
seems to give you a lot of useful information about your engine wear and
condition.

Jon Tara
95 325is