Performance chips?

I'd like any opinions on the viability of the j. conforti  engine chip
for an '87 528e with automatic transmission.  This car is completely
stock and is used as a "pleasure vehicle"  (no racing).  I have heard
great things about the effect of this chip upon the performance of the e
engine, but I don't want to create problems for myself by "fixing" a car
that isn't broken.  What are some things I should know about the
installation of an aftermarket engine chip (I won't be doing it
myself)?  Is it worth putting this chip in for the kind of driving that
I do?  Feedback will be much appreciated.