88' 528e Stock Radio Needed

Thanks to all who have answered all of my posts in the past!  This time I am
looking for another item, only this is for a different car.  I have an 1988
528e that has a radio that is driving me crazy.  First, the volume knob
creates static when it is turned.  This I can live with and has been going
on for a while.

Now, I lose all sound when the car hits a bump.  I have confirmed it is the
radio by removing it, checking the wiring and simulating a bump.  The good
part is that when you lose sound, you can tap the radio and it comes back on
(usually).  The catch is that it turns back off every time you hit another
bump (you would be surprised how many bumps there are in the road).  Now, to
save my sanity I have decided to finally break down and get a new radio.
Unfortunately, it's not as easy as you may think.  I have been told that I
must either replace the stock unit with a new replacement stock unit or I
can rewire the car.  This is due to the radio being part of an
amplifier/radio system that BMW installs stock and cannot be replaced by an
aftermarket unit unless you replace it all.  I don't wish to do this
obviously.

Does anyone have an idea where to get a good BMW stock replacement radio for
a good price?  I am looking for a AM/FM/Cassette/Weather band unit (this is
what the stock unit has).  Any help would be appreciated!  Please e-mail me
at leebarden@domain.elided.  I am betting that I am not the only one who
has run into this.

Thanks!

Lee Barden

P.S. According to Crutchfield I can install an adapter/converter that will
allow me to use an aftermarket radio, however I looked at this unit and it
seemed like a "rigged" way to accomplish the task.  If anyone has any
experience with this too, please feel free to comment!

End of bmw-digest V9 #992