Re: Broken timing belt

Hi,
  You have an M30 with a timing chain and no need to worry about
it breaking.
The M20 (325e/325i/525i [89-91]) 6cyl is an interference engine
with a timing belt.  If it breaks, you will bend valves.
Change it every 50k /4years. (change the waterpump and tensioner
at the same time).

Dale
'88 325is 20k on current timing belt...

> While buying a new timing belt for my Audi 5000 the local auto parts
> person mentioned that it has a noninterference engine- the valves and
> piston will not meet.
> So before tearing into an engine that has a broken or slipped timing
> belt, call around and find out if it is an "interference" engine.
>
> Mayby someone out there in bimmerland can enlighten us all about
> "interference" on the various BMW engines.
>

> Wes Cullen
> 85  535i
> BMWCCA 138721

- --