Re: HELP: Rearwheel bearing replaced, but didn't solve the problem!!

Hello MaZe,
I had a similar problem with some other brand.
I too, replaced the rear wheel bearings and the problem was not solved.
Until my wife drove it one night, by herself and a universal joint let
loose.

Sometimes it is hard to determine exactly where the noise really comes from
in a moving car.
Consider checking:
drive shaft center bracket/bearing
guibo (flexible rubber joint between trans / driveshaft)
universal joints

The believe that the universal joints are not replacable in a 320i.
As a result there are many aftermarket companies who will rebuild them for
you.
But I do not know what is available for you in the Netherlands.

Could the exhaust be rubbing on one of the rear half shafts ?

Regards,
Alan Alfano
alan.alfano@domain.elided

BMW CCA #30492
iX Registry # 214

1988 BMW 325iX
1956 Austin-Healey 100M (2)

In BMW-Digest #986:
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 20:04:18 +0100
>From: "The MaZe" <thezeeuw@domain.elided>
>Subject: HELP: Rearwheel bearing replaced, but didn't solve the problem!!
>
>Hi All!
>Please any help/tips on the following:
>Some time now i notice the unmistakably sound of a rotten rear-wheel
bearing
>coming from left-behind side of my '86 320i. the sound is there all the
>time, getting louder in corners. When driving at higher speeds it sounds
>like there's also some sound coming from the rear-center, in the same kind
>of ritmique as the on the rear-left. Anyway: the rear-left sound was
>unmistakably so i replace the bearing. Result: None!! None whatsoever!!
The