<E30> water getting into the trunk

Jason said...
>I have a problem.  I own a 1987 325is and somehow there is water getting
into
the trunk.  The weather stripping  around the trunk seems fine.  (No tears,
rips, or dry rot)  The water is standing in the pocket where the jack sits.
Is there any other way water could get in?...<

Jason,

Remove the taillight assembly, most likely the seal is shot.  You should
just replace it with a new seal.  If you are cheap, you can use a silicone
caulk to supplement the old seal.  The prior owner of my e-30 1987 325 did
this - seemed to hold for a while, but a PITA when I removed the tail light
assembly.  I would probably just replace the seal...quicker and cleaner.

Also check the well where the battery sits, if the right side is also shot,
you may have water there too.  Finally, if the water has led to rust, you
should take care of cleaning it up, it will only get worse.  I used a wire
brush and some Rust-Oleum (sp?).

Vince
Genesee Valley Chapter
1987 325e with the i cam, chip, etc, etc, etc

message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and
notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet
email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions,
conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given
or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an
authorized representative independent of this message.