Re: GM BMW Merger? OH, NO!

john.firestone@domain.elided writes:
<Snip>
 After their earlier blunders, GM has given Saab considerably more
 independence.  These (newer) cars are probably a lot more to your liking.

 With regards from John.
 '96 318is

John:

You're not the first person who has mentioned that the 9-3 and 9-5 are big
improvements over the last 900. To be fair, I haven't given them a try, and
probably shouldn't judge. (Although their names carry a distasteful "me too"
reference to BMW.)

It's just that my '92 "independent Saab" 900 was a joy to own and drive and my
'97 "GM-Saab" 900 fell short in so many ways.

I only recovered from the disappointment by turning to the BMW on the other
side of my garage.  I'd hate to see The General take that away, too.

An argument could be made that money-losing Saab needed GM to survive. But a
mostly-prosperous BMW certainly does not. True, BMW will have to grow to
compete, but GM isn't the partner for them.

LFJII
'94 325i
'85 325e (RIP)
'94 M-B E320 Wagon