GM BMW Merger? OH, NO!

Troy Wesley <tawesley@domain.elided> wrote...
 Subject: GM buying BMW?????

 Someone tell me it's not true!  I have a close relative that works for
 GM and rumor has it General Motors is buying at least part of BMW. Has
 anyone else heard anything about this hopefully it's just a bad joke!
 Troy

<SNIP>

Troy:

There's a story about this at:
<<http://cnnfn.com/worldbiz/europe/9902/15/bmwsmall/>>

Let's all hope and pray GM doesn't get it's hands on BMW! The speculation
about GM taking all or a chunk of BMW has grown since BMW's management shakeup
last week. BMW has denied that they are in talks with GM, and GM has made a
statement that "BMW is and remains independent" or something unsatisfying like
that.

Pity us if GM takes over. As a former Saab fanatic, I don't know what I'd do
if GM ruined BMW the way they ruined the once great Swedish marque. With GM in
charge, we can look forward to "mass marketing" philosophies that turn a great
car into nothing more than a series of styling queues and gimmicks that mask a
generic "one size fits all" platform. Witness the Saab 900, which is little
more than an Opal with the key between the seats.

LFJII