Re: Audio Equipment for my M3

Keithan Griffin (keithang@domain.elided) asked
> Well, if you are, do any of you have any strong recommendations for an
> installer/reseller of Audio equipment for my 99 M3.  As you all know, I
> want to have this done right.  So, I really only want to entertain very
> strong recommendations.  Also, if you have equipment recommendations I
> would appreciate that as well.  A little background info:  I have
> decided to forego the HK system and just get a barebones
> stock system, and I am planning to get a new amp (most likely 5
> channel), crossovers, CD player (changer or single -- undecided), and
> possibly another head unit).  Any suggestions?

To recommend a specific installer/reseller, it would help to know
your location.  :-)

As far as equipment recommendations, may I suggest that you check
out a/d/s/ at http://www.adst.com

They have a BMW E36 upgrade section on their site.

I have a '98 M roadster with a complete a/d/s/ system.  The system
uses the stock CD changer and head unit which is wired directly
to two a/d/s/ amplifiers.  The front speakers are 336is 6.5" separates
and the rear speakers are A4is 4" separates, all driven by a
P840 8-channel amplifier.  In the trunk I have a pair of 310rs
dual voice coil subwoofers powered by a P4100 4-channel amplifier.

I can tell you that you can get competition-level sound quality while
still using the stock head unit and CD changer.  The weakest links
in the factory BMW system are the amplifier and speakers--replace those
first, and then decide if you want to move up to an aftermarket head
unit.

I'd be happy to talk audio stuff further through private email so
we don't tie up the list if you're interested.

- --Alan
(z3@domain.elided)