<E30> Poor Idle Question (long)

ex, had the new ones to change them out during gasket replacement) with the
head lying right next to it.  The one next to it was ready to go also and came
off in my hand.  Thus the source of the leak.  There was no visible damage to
the head or valve train.  Looks like the head just fell off and stayed put.

Anyway, I replaced the head gasket leaving the intake manifold in the car the
whole time.  This turned out to be a mistake because the intake gasket leaked
at the oil passage when it was back together.  Also the idle was rough and
loping.  I took off the manifold and replaced the gasket.  Found oil
throughout the intake that took a long time to clean up.

After the reassembly, there are no external leaks and water in the oil or vice
versa.  The idle problem remains, however.

Here are the symptoms:

1.  Cold - idle seems OK.  Maybe a miss now and then, but hard to tell
2.  As engine warms up, the idle develops a rhythmic lope which seems worse
when the engine is at normal operating temperature
3.  Seems to run OK above 900 rpm
4.  If the engine is allowed to idle hot for a couple of minutes, the check
engine light comes on.  The light will go out if the engine rpm is brought
above 1200 or so for a second.  If I turn off the engine with the light on and
turn the ignition back on, no code is displayed.

My next move was going to be to check the compression to see if I hosed up the

Press return for more...

EMAIL>

Message NEWMAIL 1                                        18-FEB-1999 00:54:59.46

head gasket and had leakage between cylinders.  I would think this would show
up in the cold idle though and am a little perplexed.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I should check?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

Gregg

     1