Re: E30 325IC Broken Timing Belt

>Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:08:46 -0800
>From: "Peter Sankiewicz (Volt Computer)" <a-petsan@domain.elided>
>Subject: E30 325IC Broken Timing Belt
>

>My question is two fold: 1) if there is a whole in the cylinder - can it be
>repaired? and 2) where can I buy a good rebuilt engine from? Any mods that
>could be done at the time of a rebuilt that I should be looking for or
>requesting? (I'm in the Seattle area and I can be reached privately at
>a-petsan@domain.elided or petsan@domain.elided)
>
>Thanks! Peter
>
>PS: I don't know what I'd do without this digest :)

Peter,

I doubt that you have a hole in the cylinder, or that you need a rebuilt
engine.  I had a timing belt break on my '88 325is at over 6500rpm and the
damage was a couple broken rockers (replaced all of them anyway), 12 bent
valves, and 4 titanium retainers.  The head was fine, no cracks.  So i think
that at the most, you will probably have replace the valves and rockers, the
head 'may' be damaged.

Later,

jason mccowan
ncc