E30 idle problem/no power

Hey digesters,
	There's been a lot of problems with idling on early E30's.  I have a
84 318i, with the L-Jetronic fuel system.    Currently the car will idle
weird when it's cold.  The idle is erratic, moving very quickly between
500RPM and 1700RMP.  When driving cold, the car has NO power at low Rpm's.
When I start the car warm, I have no idle problems, but the car still lacks
power at the low Rpm's.  Another thing I noticed is that the car accelerates
very slowly.

	This problem followed another interesting problem I just worked out.
I ended up with a clogged cat. converter.  (Sucker was glowing bright orange
down the NYS-thruway.)  I was experiencing poor gas mileage, and poor
performance when the cat. converter clogged.  The reason it clogged was due
to charred-up spark plugs (mixture too rich) and a bad O2 sensor.  I
replaced the cat. converter, the spark plugs, and the o2 sensor.

Any ideas on where to begin?  I'm still experiencing poor gas mileage.  I've
checked over the cold start system per the Bentley manual.  All seems well
there.  I haven't changed the fuel filter since I got the car in '95.  Can
this be a problem?  Any chance parts of the cat. converter flew back into my
muffler and partially clogged that?
I've replaced spark plugs, rotor, cap, wires.  I'm assuming that this is an
intake/fuel system/exhaust problem.

TIA

Lloyd Murray
BMW CCA 164615
1970 2002 230K has more pep than the 318
1984 318i 109k & damn slow