Auto/manual Transmission switch light

I have removed the auto/manual transmission switch from my 19 525iA. The
red led that lights the switch is burned out. BMW wants US$95 for a new
switch and they do not replace diodes(the light)

I purchased a 12 volt red diode from Radio Shack for 99 cents. It says
that when installed with forward wiring it is good for 12 volts.  In
reverse wiring it is good for 5 volts.  Can some one tell me which pin
on the switch is the positive so that I can be reasonably sure of wiring
it properly?

Thanks,

Don