Re: Rear Fog Light e-28

Walt Suman writes:

> Continuing the thread, my e-28 has an unused two wire plug terminating below
> the left tailight, and empty sockets in each tailight assembly I thought would
> have been used in Europe for rear fogs. Is this a false assumption?

The empty socket in each tail lamp (red lens) is for the rear fogs as
you correctly "assume".

The 2 wire plug is ( I believe ) unused wiring that was originally
installed for an alarm system - tied to the central locking system. The
other end of the wires that you found in the trunk appear in a 3 wire
unused connector under the dash - somewhere behind the light switches I
think (to long ago to remember for sure)
You can use these wires for your fog lamps if you like (one wire to each
lamp (if you want to have dedicated wires).

> While I'm at it, what would blank the area to the right of the front fog light
> switch be used for and also the dummy right of the stereo?

The blank panel beside the fog light switch is where they mount the
control for adjusting the height of the headlights. This is another Euro
thing - there are laws in some countries about ensuring the headlights
are adjusted for the load in the car (especially for trailer/caravan
hauling).  So the dash control runs a small electric motor attached to
the adjustment knobs on the rear of the headlight units.  I also heard
someone say they though it was where the control was mounted for the
"electric dampening control" - but I have never seen that, the only
controls I have seen are for the headlight aiming.

That panel is a good spot to mount another switch or indicator lamp -
but make sure you use a small push button  or something that will not
dig into your knee in an accident (no toggle switches with protruding
handles).

Regarding the blank beside the radio - I have never seen a car, or even
a picture, with anything there, except my car because I used that spot
to mount an extra window switch that i usedd to control the power to 2
garage door openers ( I mounted th openers in the bottom of the centre
dash top vent after taking the circuit boards out of their plastic
cases.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada