AFM testing

Hey Geniuses (and not-a-geniuses),

I have been told (by a not-to-trusted shop) that my AFM is dust.  Being the
non-technical (at least with this stuff) guy I am I was wondering how to
test for myself.

They apparently tried to adjust it and they said it wasn't possible and
that it would continue to run rich until I replaced it (at the tune of $400
for the part plus their labor).

Are they full of it?  I just had the thing smogged and there was no
indication that it ran rich based on the numbers.  It also doesn't appear
to be running anything but great.

How can I test this thing?  I have a line on another AFM or a MAF
conversion so I would like to find out ASAP so I can get back to the guy on
his parts.

If it is bad, how hard is it to replace and calibrate?  What special tools
do I need to calibrate the thing?

Thanks much.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5