Re: rear fog

Mark Alan Selleck wrote:

> Jim, I just read your post where you said it was easy to add the rear fog to
> an e28.  Can you give me more info?  I'd like to add one to my '85 535i.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Mark Selleck

Mark,  and Paul who also wrote,   the following is taken from a response
I made to a similar request on the digest last March.

- -------------------
Rear Fog Lights - E28

There is not much to it.

First you need to install bulbs and sockets in the rear lamps.  Remove
the lamps from the car (bolts on the back of the unit and then they lift
out).
Then you have to remove the plastic "knock out blanks" where the fog
light sockets go - I carefully punched out with a flat screwdriver and
then shook/vacuumed out the pieces that fell into the light.
The you need to get 2 new bulb sockets (same socket as the other 21 watt
bulbs back there). Put 21 watt bulbs in sockets and install. Put the
lamps back in the car

Now for wiring up the circuit

Pull off the lower dash panel and then unscrew the panel that holds the
light switches - they drop down and you will have full access to the
back.

On the back of the fog light switch you should find pin # 2 unused (no
wire) - that is to one that feeds the rear fogs when that switch is
pushed to position #2 (both the front and rears are on in that
position).

Simply connect a lead to terminal #2 and extend it back to the rear
lamps - not prewired (see "hint" below). I think I just inserted the
bare end of the wire into the rear lamp connector socket and it made
contact with the pins when plugged in - I can't remember which pin #,
but that is obvious when you trace the bulb path to the connector. The
ground is common to all lamps so you only have to provide the voltage.
I think you do have to run it to both rear lamps since they are not
already bridged.

If you also want the dash indicator to work for the rear fogs, it is the
lamp position in the dash beside the front fog indicator. You will have
to get a small 10-12 volt bulb that  fits into the hole , and wire it to
the same term # 2 on the switch. The other side of that lamp will
require a ground wire. I did not bother with a socket - just soldered
the wires to the bulb and stuck it in.

I don't think the pictogram for the rear fogs is actually on the plastic
insert - seems to me I took my insert out and stencilled a pictogram on
it - can't remember what I used but you might want to consider doing it
in black on the back side - that way it gives a black pictogram on the
amber lens - only when the lamp is on.

Dats it Eh !

Just remember, only use them in "very heavy" fog conditions -  when you
are using your rear fogs you are more visible, but it is also harder for
someone following you to notice when you put on your brakes.

"Hint" - some of the E28's with central locking did not have the alarm
system installed. But there is some wiring in place for it that you can
use for the rear fogs.  I found an unused connector up under the dash
(somewhere behind the light switch). It had 3 wires on it (green/blue,
brown/yellow, red/brown) - well the brown/yellow and  red/brown go to
the trunk and appear on a small connector somewhere back there - on the
left side fender I think  - too long ago to remember for sure.
So if you have these wires in place you do not need to run others to the
trunk. - but Hey - it's never a bad thing to spend some time checking
out the underside of your carpets for damp areas.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada
BMW CCA 102929