Re: E28 vs E34 535i

In a message dated 2/2/99 10:40:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, Steve Noe writes:

<< Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:37:22 +1000
 From: Steve Noe <stevenoe@domain.elided>
 Subject: E28 vs E34 535i

 Should I broaden my search for a 535i/5spd to include the E28 or should I
 concentrate on the E34?  In other words, is the E34 535i a better car
overall? >>

Keep in mind that the E28's have been out of production for at least 11 years
now and are beginning to show their age. I have an 85 535i w/140k miles and
while it still runs well and is rust free, most of the rubber components
especially have rotted away and have needed/ will soon need/ replacement.
This would include things like subframe bushings, fuel and coolant hoses,
alternator bushings, etc, etc.

In general, the E28's are not as refined as the e34's, IMHO.  They idle
roughly, even when in tune, are fairly noisy and do not have as many gadgets.
Depending on your taste, you may actually prefer this type of rough charm.

However, even in a well maintained e28 , be prepared to spend a fair amount of
time and money replacing things that have reached the end of their useful
life.  On the other hand, e28's are now quite cheap, generally in the under 5k
range unless they have been upgraded and are in top shape.

Iz Lipschutz