Re: <E30> belt dressing

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Jack@Home wrote:

> recently i have posted regarding a noise from my engine compartment which
> resembled a belt noise but not exactly.  because of this i checked the fan
> clutch using the "stop the blade" method.  because the blade was easily
> stoppable i determined that i needed a new fan clutch.  i also figured that

 yeah, but if the engine was cold, the clutch would be disengaged, and
the fan should be stoppable, right?  I would think that the clutch
would only engage when the engine was very hot, and not even at normal
operating temps.
 In our old suburban w/7.4 litre engine, neither the electric fan on
the front nor the main fan clutch would ever run, unless we were
towing the ol' RV, and even then only while going uphill.  (it was a
BIG fan and sounded like an airplane when it engaged) It seems like
your car's fan clutch would behave the same way for efficiency's sake.
 Then again, I may be a maroon baboon as they say.

- --
  John Bolhuis  | "With freedom comes responsibility"
 bolhuijo       |                          -Space Ghost
  @domain.elided | "With freedom comes nudity!"