<OT> Re: new CA emissions laws

Chris, some of us own SUVs to serve dual/multiple purposes.  Ours, for
example:

1.  Is used to carpool kids to and from school and other places
2.  Is used for towing trailers, some of which can be pretty heavy
3.  Is used to take my family to visit people in the mountains who live on
dirt roads, regardless of the season or road conditions.

Sometimes I like the V8 engine.  With 6 adults and one kid aboard, I have
no lack of power entering freeways (safety issue).  The engine is never
strained when towing a yard of wet concrete in a heavy trailer.

Sometimes I hate the V8 engine.  Can you say 12.5 miles per gallon?

None of my uses of the Durango has been commercial.  However,
having a V8 often makes sense for us.  So, I don't think the commercial
use alone should be used as justification for a V8 engine.

Here's another way of looking at this issue, and also my BMW content:
Four cylinder engines get much better fuel mileage than six- or
eight-cylinder engines.  So shouldn't all our BMWs come with 4-bangers?
 Should we only be able to get a 6 or an 8 (or a 12) based on the use of
the vehicle?

On the other hand, given the number of trucks, vans and SUVs sold, I do
think that the smog laws ought to be tightened up for them.

Well, OK, you asked, there's my opinion.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977