RE: MSD

Franklin,

I installed a Jacobs system on my (non-DME) '85 318i.  The system
includes their controller, coil, and wires.  The wires are handmade, and
tend to fall apart after one year.  Since they are warranted for life, I
call them every year and get them replaced for free.  The system has
been on my car since April, 1993, or over 130,000 miles, and has never
left me stranded.

The Jacobs system definitely gives boost to the ignition system, and I'd
recommend it to any non-DME BMW.  It allows the engine to deliver more
solid power, and it always starts quickly.

I'm not sure whether the Jacobs system is compatible with DME systems
which control fuel and ignition.

http://www.jacobselectronics.com

One time, after washing out the engine compartment, I attempted to start
the engine to allow it to warm up the compartment and evaporate the
water.  The car would barely run, and appeared to be running on less
than four cylinders.  Thinking that it must be the Jacobs system, I
bypassed it.  The car would start at all!  The Jacobs system was
delivering more spark than the standard system, allowing the engine to
at least limp along.  Turns out the problem was those crappy Jacobs
wires.  After they dried out, the problem went away.  However, the
performance improvement from the Jacobs system remained.

A side benefit of the Jacobs system is a feature that will disable the
ignition after 10 seconds.  It can prevent someone from stealing my car.
There's a valet switch to bypass it when I take it in for service, etc.

- -rb