<E28> 528e hesitation

Steve,

This doesn't sound normal at all.  Especially not being able to top 60
mph in the mountains!  My 325e can and does still fly at higher
elevations...

I'm baffled by the hesitation on a start/restart condition.  Perhaps
the cap and rotor?  But not very likely (though it's still a good idea
to replace 'em -- cheap insurance).

My best guess is my favorite gremlin, the vacuum leak.  This might
help explain your lack of power at elevation, as the AFM would be
registering less airflow than the engine is actually getting,
resulting in lean running.  But you should also have symptoms down on
the flats if this is the case...

And sharking always helps, too.

Good luck!

   KC Boyce