re: <OT> The auto biz...BMW/Honda/Rover/etc.

Herman hit the nail on the head, and sounds like an economist and/or an
astute investor.  What I am wondering is that since all this merger mania is
being driven by excess production capacity, why BMW doesn't produce more
lower line cars and sell them in the U.S., as they do in Europe.  I know all
about product positioning and not wanting to damage the upscale image that
they have garnered stateside, but it seems to me with proper marketing they
could achieve this without tarnishing the high end luxo-sport image.  I
would not stop buying BMW's if they started selling 316's for 18-20K with
minimum frills in the U.S.  Then people without the extra money to burn
could own a well-engineered car that is much safer and handles way better
than comparable American or Japanese cars of the same price range.

Michael Greto
BMW CCA-Everglades Chapter
'98 ///M Roadster
'98 Nissan Frontier (daily driver)