1971 BMW 1600 imported to U.S.?

Dear Folks:

I have been offered a nice beater 1600, daily driver which is registered and
everything.  Seller says its a '71.  However, Ken Gross suggests that '70 was
the last year for 1600 in U.S.  Any clues?

After cursory inspection, car seems to have minimal critical rust.  F/R shock
towers ok, spare wheel tub ok, small amount on rockers, and on trailing edge
of R front fender.  Original Granata red paint with beautiful patina (i.e.
faded and rough).  body overall good, with NO apparent dents/repairs to nose
OR rear license/light panel.  Beautiful chrome grill, but missing center
kidneys.  Much original equip. throughout (incl. nice hubcaps).

Second gear synchro gone, tranny whines - think its soon to be a goner.
Believed to be original engine - could not see head casting info due to
unwillingness to get mucked up at the time.  Overall seems engine / tranny
will be "Job One," as they say here in America.

Not much info in FAQ's on this model.  Anyone able to point me to good
resource of information? Anyone know whether 1600 got upgraded front calipers?

All discouragement and encouragement welcome.

Bill McMahon
Oakland, CA

'87 535is
'88 325ix  (Red/black)
'79 323i (Red/Black)
'71 1600? (Red/black)
'62 Ford F-100 longbed Styleside P/U (must sell to buy 1600/2002)