<failing fan clutch>

r.e:"testing a fan clutch"... old trick, used (on others cars, my bimmer doesn't have one):
take short piece of rubber hose (garden/heater/etc) & just stick it in the fan (while eng
running of course) ... if the fan just stops, the clutch is bad/if it keeps kicking at the
hose it's OK. I've tried this on several  non-BMW products & it seems to work (YMMV). I'm not
sure about the temputure controlled clutch fans ... should just being bringing eng up to
normal temp to check. Hope this is utile..
    rick