RE: 1971 BMW 1600 imported to U.S.?

Bill,
I've heard someone (Michel?) say before that in some states
cars were designated by initial registration year instead of
mfg year.

In this case, this would have been one of the last 1600s made -
if it languished on a dealer lot until Jan'71, maybe it
was registered as a '71.

I believe the brakes are identical to '71 2002, i.e. all after
'69 non-tii brakes.  The rears may be the smaller 200 mm drums
(vs. 230 for 2002, vs. 250 mm for 320i).  Diff will be 4.11:1
ratio.

If it's a Euro model, I'd expect German writing on the dash
controls and KM speedometer, etc.  I bet it's just a late
sale.  If the motor is shot, a 2002 motor just drops in.
I bet you can't swing a cat without hitting a BMW 2.0 in
the junkyard.  I bet you can't swing a cat without getting
in trouble with PETA, either, but I digress.

You have lots of parts sources available via the web and
in-state, so I'll save my speech about buying such a car
for the joy of the car, to bond with it, to be part of it
and vice versa, and not to count on it for 50K service
intervals and stuff.  Oops, there I went.

I think you'll enjoy it.

 - thi v.