Re: DTM

DTM = Deutsches Tourenwagen Meisterschaft, or in English, German
Touring Car Championship. This is basically European stock car racing
like our NASCAR 'cept they turn in BOTH directions and even have
little hills and stuff on their courses.  Maybe if you think of it as
a Formula One race that uses street-looking cars that's close.

 I'm not positive about the different classifications but you may
also see this referred to as "STW" or Super Tourenwagen
Meisterschaft. And I probably have that "bassackwards" STW may be the
overall Sanctioning Body and DTM may just be one of the classes. Not
at all positive about it but believe I saw them run a Super
Tourenwagen Cup race at Zweibrucken this past fall.

Uh, by the way. They have ESSO gas commercials here on Telly in
Europe that show one of our friends (Emo Fittipaldi) pulling in to
the pumps in his BMW race car. He asks the attendant to fill it up -
with Diesel. That's right it's a TDS and it was some sort of European
Rallye Champion in 96 or 97. I believe that series was also "DTM" or
"STW" Sanctioned. Weird huh?

If you aren't confused yet . . . .

I believe our friends in The United Kingdom and the non-German
speaking countries of Europe call it Super Touring Car Championship
Racing or something near that. Any of Her Majesty's subjects still
subscribed and care to make that a bit more accurate?

And I also believe that this kind of racing is popular in Australia
and New Zealand as well.

Tchuess!

Jay