Carrying Tires in Back Seat - The Solution

I didn't get an overwhelming response to my question on the BMW Digest
about this a few days ago, so I struck out on my own.  The problem
involved carrying 4 track tires and wheels in the back seat of an E36 M3
sedan.  Of course, you can always put one in the spare tire well, but
that's a bit of a PITA to get in and out.

The solution is a custom ratcheting tie down to run either around or
through the hubs (preferred) of the wheels while they sit vertically in
the back seat.  Be sure and use some type of pad or towels on the seats
as the rubber will stain your leather.

First, purchase two E36 seat belt clips (male ends) from your favorite
parts recycler. I used Eric at Auto Works in Ft. Lauderdale as they are
a Roundel advertiser (800-377-2520).  Make your own deal with Eric.
Service was prompt and courteous.  Forget your favorite new parts
supplier as the seat belt clip is not sold separately.

Next, you need someone to make a custom ratcheting tie down system using
the seat belt clips instead of the standard S type hooks.  For this
stage I contacted Mark Brown at M & R Products out of NJ (800-524-2560).
For $20 (including shipping!) he will custom sew the seat belt clips to
your specs, use high quality 2" webbing in a variety of colors (I chose
bright red), and include a very trick ratchet that is better than most
I've seen. These folks are very car enthusiast friendly and aim to
please.  I chose to mate the ratchet close to the seat clip intended for
the left side (5") so that there would be no problems with the ratchet
ending up in an inaccessible place.  Mark has a copy of my plans and can
probably duplicate the project easily.

So that's it. Usual disclaimers apply. I have no financial relationship
with Auto Works or M & R. Carrying wheels and tires in your back seat
probably isn't the safest thing, so I do not recommend this.  However,
if you are going to do it anyway, this should help.

Craig Eller
BMW CCA Everglades Chapter
E36 ///M3