E-36 Dealer says I need Check Control Module $450

Hi,

My wife's recently acquired 92 325is prompts "CHECK CONTROL INACT." when you
first turn the car on.  Took the car to the dealer and the Service advisor
told me that it's the Check Control Module under the dash (very hard to get
to) that controls the fluid levels! He also asked me to bend over for $450
which I refused.  Could someone please explain to me what the function of
this device is and if there's an easier way of fixing this problem.

TIA,
Ray
93 535i
92 325is