<E30> Wheel Bearings

>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:45:35 -0800
>From: Mark Estes <mestes@domain.elided>
>Subject: General question on changing wheel bearings.

>Hi all,

>I had a general question on changing wheel bearings. Is it
>generally required to change the races also? Sometimes, only
>when they are damaged,or always change the races.
>I have a concern about getting them out and back in straight
>and not damage them. Are they pressed in tightly?
- - --
>Mark Estes
>325is E30

Mark

Yes you need to change the race to, it will come with the new bearing. Most
of the time you need a 2 or 3 arm six inch puller to get these bearings
(front) off. You will also need a 36MM Socket and good half inch drive
breaker bar and even a cheater extension for that. The 36MM locking collar
nut that holds this bearing on is torqued to at least 200 foot pounds
(possibly 220 check the Bentley book). It is not tough to get the bearing
back on straight. Use your 36MM socket and a hammer and gently tap the
bearing in until it seats. What makes it tough is if you forget to put the
disc brake backing plate on first (like I have done) and have to take the
whole thing back off! Use a cold chisel to punch out the locking tab on this
collar nut after you get it tightned.

Don't forget to by a new locking collar nut and grease seal, and dust cap.
Make sure you specify that you have ABS.

You end up replacing these pretty often when you drive these cars on a race
track as these little 4 bolt e30 hubs and bearings are kind of fragile.

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter

1988 325IS, (to much to list), should have stayed the street car.(many wheel
bearings)

1987 325IS, project, should have been the track car.

1988 Volvo 240 Wagon 5 Speed.