Re: Water Wetter (R/L WW)

>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:44:23 -0800 (PST)
>From: Aaron Lung <alung@domain.elided>
>
>Harvey sez:
>
>> My understanding of the automobile cooling system is that the
>>coolant temperature is controlled by the mechanical/thermal properties
>>of the thermostat, not the chemical properties of the liquid coolant.
>>So is this stuff snake oil or what?
>
>Snake Oil it is... it's more like snake piss in this
>case :-)   I've never used water wetter in
>any of my 4 cars I've owned in the past 15years, and
>I've never overheated or had any heat problems. (ok, I
>admit that I almost did once when my radiator seal
>broke and sprung a leak, but water wetter wouldn't
>have helped an iota)
>
>Plus, as Harvey alludes, if one really wanted to to
>lower his temperature by 10degrees, just get a new $2.50
>thermostat that's 10 degree's cooler.  On the more
>extreme case, take the darn thing out.  It works
>all the time, guaranteed without a doubt, and it
>doesn't cost a dime ;-)
>
>aaron
>
>88 528e, 62Kmi (with original thermostat and radiator)

Aaron, I respectfully disagree.
Some vehicles will reflect greater results than others.

Example: In the summer, my Jeep Cherokee temp gauge will start to creep
over the 210(f) degree point in 100(f) degree weather with A/C on and stuck
in traffic. This is with the standard 195(f) thermostat. After adding R/L
WW, I have not seen the temp get to 210 at all. In the fall, it takes a
very long time for the temp gauge to get to the normal operating area if
R/L WW is in the system. So I drain and flush every year so I get heat in
the late fall/winter and add R/L WW after the weather starts to get hot.

My perspective is that this is great stuff for vehicles that have a
tendency to run hot, especially in the summer. If your vehicle does not
exhibit this "problem", you do not need it. I like it, i use it. If you
dont want to use it or have not had the success I have, contact REDLINE,
dont flame me.

Again, YMMV (Nomex suit worn as I type),

Steve
'91 525i (BL/SS, 143k, Redline, chip)   (oo(||)(||)oo)
'88 Cherokee (4.0, 153k, 242, Redline)