what happened to my car?

Hey everyone-
The strangest thing happened in my car the other night.  As I don't
currently have access to my manuals (long story) I am hoping some of you can
help.  The car is a '90 325is.
As I was sitting at a signal the other night, the setting was; stereo on
average vol., headlights and fogs on, heater on number one, the rest was
normal.  Then, all of the sudden, at the exact same moment, my check engine
light came on my heater fan sped up to what must have been at least two or
three, and my fog lights went off.  This lasted about five seconds and then
everything went back to normal.  Other things may have happened (engine
rev.) but I didn't notice and don't think so.  It seems like a power surge,
but I don't see how that could be.  My foglights no longer work.  I checked
the fuses today and they're fine.  The inside light still indicates that
they are on.  I haven't checked the bulbs yet 'cause the car is lowered and
it's a real PITA.
Does anyone have any idea what happened or perhaps had similar experiences.
This is the most random thing that has ever happened to my car and any
insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Josh Murray
L.A. Chapter