questions/problems with '91 E30 stereo

I have a '91 M3 with the stereo with the little joystick control
thingy.  I also have the BMW CD changer mounted in the trunk.  This
was all from the previous owner.

Question: is it supposed to go back to the beginning of the current
track on the CD when you turn it back on or go back to the CD from the
radio or tape?

Problem: quite often it happens that when I put the CD magazine in the
changer and then go to listen to it, the display looks as if the CD is
playing, but nothing comes out.  Whatever track or CD I go to the same
problem exists.  Eventually, it will start playing, but I usually have
been hitting the volume dial for scan a bunch of times, but I think
thisis coincidental since it still takes a while.  I could take 5-10
minutes to start playing.  Anyone have any idea what the problem may
be?  I haven't noticed yet any consistency of when this happens, but
I don't think the problem happens EVERY time I put in the magazine.

Thanks!

- -Ken ;   Salem, MA
'91 M3
'97 318ti Sport, RIP....