% of people who auto-x/track their cars - survey?

Jerry Chyo wrote:
> At 11:32 PM 1/25/99 -0500, Martin wrote:
> <stuff snipped>
>     This is not the race digest. Out of the subscribers there is only
> >30-60 or so people that would ever take there car to any track.
> >Most of use are married and have invested a lot (20-60 grand)
> >into a car which the spouse will not let you even think about
> >a day at the track-EVER!!!! (Yes It's True!) Then there are the
> >garage-queens which are rarely even driven at all.
[...]
> Most stuff you wrote had definite legitimacy, except I would bet a lot more
> that 60 folks on the digest auto-x or track their cars.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if 10% of the digest did some type of driving event at one time
> or another.

I liked Martin's post, but those figures caught my eye also. We get
about 50 BMWs at our auto-x events in the NCC and, of course, it's not
always the same 50. Most of the hard core folk attend drivers' schools
as well. In talking to them at the events, I know many of them follow
the digest, but lurk (wonder why). I'm gonna guess half are here. That's
25 or so autocrossers from the NCC alone on this digest.

The NCC represents roughly 1/15th of the total BMW CCA population, so if
we extrapolate assuming similar numbers in other chapters, we'd get
about 375 people who participate in these events. About 12% of the
digest by my estimate. That sounds about right to me - 10 to 12 percent.

How bout a survey? Actually, this would be interesting to me since I'm
involved in our chapter's autocross program. I'd like to know what
percentage participate in autocross and why those that don't - don't!

Send a message to me with this message's subject and indicate that you
autocross, attend drivers' schools, club race, SCCA race, or none of the
above. If none, tell why. I'll tally and post the results in a week or
two depending on the response.
- --
Ron Katona