<e30> Lower Shift Lever

I read a message on Dale's e30 site about fitting a E36 lower shift lever
in a 86 325es.  I also have a 86 325es and mine need's replacing, it's worn
and my shifter is very sloppy.  Going in to reverse also causes problems by
being hard to push, and tearing my boot.
I'd like to fit a shorter lever in but I don't want to have to bend it  or
anything.  Are there any levers that will fit right in without causing
problems, but still be shorter???  How about a E30 M3?

TIA,
Jeff
86 325es
http://jamspot.simplenet.com