Re: E28 lower conrol arms or thrust arms?

>Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:52:15 EST
>From: ABARTH037@domain.elided
>Subject: E28 lower conrol arms or thrust arms?
>
>What is the upgrade for E28 lower control arms or thrust arms or whatever?
>Are they from E32 7's?  I know that one of the two between the 2 has the same
>number, but what about the other, is that the upgrade?  You have to press the
>7 bushings in the 7's right?  They are sold seperately?
>
>Thanks!

The stock E28 535i bushings do not seem to last too long. The upgrade to
install 750 bushings. They almost fit.

1) You can bend back the mounting tabs (a pain) and risk cracking them
(E28 front subframe cracks, esp on steering gearbox are not unheard of)
and trim OD down so they fit in the arms.

2) You can do it right. They must have their OD trimmed to fit in the
arms. Then center of the bushing must be reduced to fit into the bracket.
And the outside of the bushing length must be trimmed to allow for proper
arm movement under hard driving. Failure to do so can consiveably lead to
cracking and failure of the arm.

Steve D (www.ultimategarage.com) offers the properly trimmed bushings as
does Dinan (www.dinanbmw.com and via www.bavauto.com). I assume others do
too, but ask if all three machinings are done.

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp
Denver, CO

E28 Home Page - http://members.aol.com/BMW535i86