RE:Subject: insurance & seattime

Jason McCowan Wrote:

>happen while running at a seattime since it can be viewed as "preparing
>for
>a race", am I right?  I'm going to call my agent in the morning to find
>out for sure.  I was just wondering if anyone insured with USAA has had any
>experience with this..  Any tips on what I should say when I call them?
>I'm half expecting them to tell me that I would have no coverage whatsoever
>(while at the school) as soon as I mention the word racetrack.

Ya gotta understand that USAA has a very selective policy holder base.
They for the most part insure Military Officers, and Service Cadets,
CIA, FBI, Secret Service and other high level goverment types (and the
dependent spouse and children of such insured pepole). I would call the
policy service 800 number for correct information. (Even if they will
put a conversation note in your file).  Your agent will most likely sell
policies for more than one insurance company.  He may be sponsored by
Allstate, State Farm or Insurance X in addition to USAA.  When you buy a
policy through him, he gets a commision on the sale of that policy. When
you ask him for information re: what is covered in the policy, his
concern is mostly driven by what goes into his pocket. When you get into
an accident, you will deal with a claims adjuster who may not know what
the agent told you.  It will not matter.  When you call the 800 number
for policy info, they have a direct link with their underwriting
department.

I have never been to the track, however I am going to Germany next month
and will rent a car from Avis for two weeks.  I have USAA insurance.
The Avis rental desk in Frankfurt wants me to take the rental insurance
from them for twice what the rental costs.  My USAA policy covers rental
cars in the USA but not overseas.  They will however sell me a seperate
policy for the two weeks that I am there for a fraction of the price
that Avis is quoting.  My point is this, call the right people to
verify, and you might be able to get a seperate policy to cover the
driving school if you are not already covered.

- --
Dave Kan             ______
'86 535i 199K      o/______\o
BMW CCA 154020     (oo=00=oo)