Re: Strange "plastic-like" smell from E46

> This smell was quite strong for the first 2000 miles, but has diminished
> significantly over the last 1500. I recall it being super-strong the night I
> took delivery.

Mine too.  There was a decrease in the smell after approx. 2000 miles/ 2
months.  However, there still is something there that hasn't really
diminished.

> Unlike you, I am rather fond of the smell and I kinda wish it hadn't diminished
> so... I can only get it to come back after a hard drive and a few minutes alone
> in the garage, and even then I find myself hanging my nose outside the grille
> for a good, deep whiff. I have NEVER been so successful as to fill the cabin
> with the smell, though, perhaps your situation is, as you suggest, extreme.

Actually, the smell itself isn't really offensive as in a really
unpleasant odor.  I wouldn't say I enjoyed the odor.  What bothers me is
how my sinuses/nose reacts to it.

> After reading a comment or two here before about Cosmoline, I silently concluded
> that that was what causes that smell; I can't really confirm that. Maybe there
> is a GOB of the stuff hanging on somewhere, whatever it is?

I thought that too.  I figured however that ut would of "burned-off" by
now.

> At about 2000 miles, I noticed a cream-colored, sticky substance coating several
> expanses of the undercarriage, near the skid plate.

I've seen this stuff too by just bending down and looking under the
car.  It has a kind of tacky feel to it.  Maybe this stuff is close
enough to the engine/exhaust that it is heating up and out gassing.
Some of these soft polymer or polymer-like coatings contain lots of
potentially nasty chemicals.  It might be worth crawling under the car
to have a good look/smell.  My other theory is that it has to do with
all the plastic under the hood out gassing, especially the intake area.

Thanks for the info, Andrew.

Jim C.  ('99 BMW 328i, 4200 miles)