Re: re: "helen"

Hello all,

First of all, I'm sick and tired of having people not abiding by Digest
rules. This is first and foremost an interest digest, not a name-calling
digest.

Here's the rules off the web-page, verbatim:

"The bmw list has an open membership policy; anyone may join. an
interest in bmws is probably handy, although if someone who
wasn't interested in bmws wanted to join, i wouldn't object (however, i
would wonder why.) the only ways to get thrown off of the
list are 1) to have an unreliable email address or 2) manage to
completely and utterly waste everybody's time on the list by filling
their mailboxes with garbage. 2) has never actually happened; i hope it
never does."

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:20:46 -0500
> From: "Mark Nernberg" <mjn@domain.elided>
> Subject: re: "Helen"
>

> "Helen" is a fifteen year old E28 535is

Correction: 14 year old 535i
1999 - 1985 = 14
535is were made for US only 1987 and 1988

> The further facts: "Helen" *has* been driven hard.  (What other car do =
> you think Rob takes to auto-x and driver's schools?  We know he enjoys =
> them -- and there's nothing wrong [in fact plenty right] with that -- =
> but this sort of activity *is* hard on the car.

Well, this is a matter of opinion. But aren't we supposed to drive cars?
A BMW will be driven harder than "normal" just because it has the
ability to. Your not going to push around a Honda Accord DX around a
track like a BMW. Now come on, of course *some* cars will be treated
harder than others. But what matters is the maintenance, not the driver.
So long as parts are replaced when they're needed, the car's fine.
That's why you see 300k and 400k cars still on the road. It's called
regular maintenance.

> What it looks like to me is that Rob wants to find the right sucker who =
> feels that because Rob is a "bubba" that Rob will tell him things right.

Why not say it more nicely, like explaining that you feel that the car's
been driven too hard. Voicing opinion is not bad, name-calling and
derogatory language is.

> Why would you pay $14,000 for Helen when Rob already says he's willing =
> to take less?  (He *has* told at least two crygest members that he'll =
> take quite a bit less!)  Why would you pay $14K for Helen when you can =
> buy a 1988 M5 (all stock and less miles/age/wear) for $11K - $13K and =
> LESS if you're willing to work at it?

Ummm, let's see....Kelley Blue Book....BMW.... 1988.... M5....$13,950
....Option list.... +$200 ....mileage list.... 89,000 to 94,000 miles. A
90k car, for over $14,000. Then again, how many +90k M5's do you see
floating around in good condition? None, most I've seen in Roundel are
60k and under, garaged, maintained, and beautiful condition. That's
worth about $500-$1000 for every 10k miles the car has under the mileage
indicator...so.... that's $17,000 and up for a 60k "good" condition M5.
I don't know where you're getting your figures from, but I at least
quote Kelley Blue Book.

> Whatever you do: DON'T LET BUBBA ROB SCREW YOU IN THE ASS!

Very nice language.

> BTW: Do you want to buy a car from a guy who is so devoid of a personal =
> life that he has to name his car "Helen" like his girlfriend or =
> something?  I don't mean to assail Rob's sexual orientation, but don't =
> you think its wierd that he's got to have a car instead of a girlfriend? =
>  Maybe all the extra money he wants is for the special "bubba-stains" on =
> the seats.

Low blow. Not good.

> |Mark J. Nernberg

Why thank you very much for making this list such a nice and inviting
place.

P.S. I would endorse anything done or sold by Rob L. I've actually met
him and seen his web-page. He's the nicest person you'll ever know, and
knows a helluva lot on BMW's.

:)Regards
- -Chris Graff

Middletown, New Jersey