<E28> Towing with a 5er?

I am interested in installing a hitch in my '88 535is.  The R compound tires
and collection of tools and spares are getting rather cumbersome to load
into the trunk and back seat so I am thinking about buying a small trailer
for driving events.  This leads to a bunch of questions.

1) Has anyone installed a hitch in such a beast?  I've heard that the center
exit exhaust prohibits installing a hitch.

2) What is the towing capacity of my car?  My family's '76 Volvo wagon
(stick) pulled a 2000 lb trailer through the Rocky Mountains, so I hope that
my car can handle 1000 to 1500 lbs.

3) Does BMW have a wiring harness and connector, or do I go to the local
Trailers R Us and purchase the trailer harness for a 1971 Ford F100?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Walters
1988 BMW 535is 1997-1998 NNJR SCCA ESP SOLO II 1st Place
		   1998 Pizzafest Sport BMW 1st Place
		   1997 NJBMWCCA Points Series 2nd Place
		   BL/SSed, ERKed, coilovered, camber/castered
		   EW/MAFed
		   Chip? We don't need no stinking chip
1974 BMW 2002  The Safari Sled

Team DFL	   Bringing low-cost high performance to
		   a BMW near you.

www.shortshifter.com, UUC Motorwerks, "Holy Shift!"

Pomoto Pictures, "The Deer and the Cheetah",
		   an unromantic comedy, coming eventually
		   to a theater near you