Helen Flame wars....and the way things used to be.

I remember now why I pay so little attention to this list these days.  I
don't care what the opinion is, the name calling and slurs are a
ridiculous waste of my time, your time and the list's time.   Please
take it off line so the rest of us don't have to deal with either side.
Those of you who respond on the list only encourage the original poster
and make yourself look just as bad in my opinion.

I remember when.....the list used to be productive, interesting, fun to
be a part of and provided me with insight into my E28 535i.  I couldn't
wait to read the latest edition of the digest.  Hopefully I'd get 2 or 3
volumes a day.  Contributors like Don Eilenberger frequented the list
and helped newbies like me jump into the engine compartment with
reckless abandon.  Heck I even called him at work one day.  I'm sure it
wasn't something he ever expected, but he graciously answered my
questions and helped me do my first valve adjustment.  Unfortunately
over the last 4 years I've seen the list transform from something I was
pleased to be a part of to a routine of flame wars and name calling.
It's interesting to me that the experts of 3-4 years ago seem to be
curiously absent from the list today, whether they got tired of
answering the same questions over and over or the increase in Flaming is
a mystery to me.  Either way they are missed.  I'm sure it's only a
matter of time before today's so called "experts" (whether true or
self-proclaimed) leave the list for similar reasons.  The list's
usefulness factor has definately declined.  Oddly enough it seems to
coincide with the attention the list has received from the Roundel.

Maybe the list has become a reflection of the members in the car club
today.  Heck, I don't claim to be an active and contributing member of
the club.  I've never been to a meeting (First Coast Chapter here, and
former Tejas Chapter too), never been to a club event, never been to a
drivers school.  But if this digest is becoming an increasing indication
of who the rest of the club is, I'm glad I've kept my distance.

Richard, I thank you for the time and effort you have put into the
list.  I'm sorry that your work has been wasted on so many who do not
deserve it.  The rest of us need to grow up.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth and the unsolicited opinion.  Please
Flame me directly if you must, don't bother the list.

Jeff Wilcox
Jacksonville, FL
1988 E28 535i
106,700