Oxygen sensor regulation?

I have a 90' 325i it's been running rather poorly for some time.  The check
engine light comes on sporadically, especially when idling for long periods
and more recently when just driving down the highway.  The major symptoms I
am having are: an occasional lack of acceleration when I depress the gas
pedal (this goes away temporarily when I put in the clutch and rev the
engine), a rough idle, it comes close to killing all the time in stop and go
traffic when I put in the clutch, it turns over 7 or 8 times before it
starts then dies right away if I don't give it gas, and it misses all the
time when I
want to accelerate.  The code the car is giving me is 1222 which one book
told me was oxygen sensor regulation, and another told me was Lambda contol
1. I replaced the oxygen sensor but that didn't seem to help much except for
the first hour or so after I replaced it.  I checked the voltage on the O2
sensor and it seemed to be within specs and fluctuating with engine speed.
I'm a college student and can't afford to have a dealer diagnos it and/or
fix it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I need your guiding
wisdom.
 Thanks,
 Josh Stottlemyer
 josh.stot@domain.elided